Is your restaurant on Instagram? If the answer is no, what is holding you back? The social media platform has more than 400 million active users worldwide. With more than 60% of its users logging in daily, it’s the second largest social network for engagement after Facebook. According to Brandwatch, Instagram’s brand engagement is 10 times higher than Facebook, 54 times higher than Pinterest and 84 times higher than Twitter. If you haven’t already, now is the time to harness the power of Instagram for your restaurant.
Here are some tips that will help your restaurant stand out using the platform.
- Create stories – 70% of all users view Stories daily, so use them whenever possible. Feature your food, your staff, your events, and more in fullscreen, vertical format. Use stickers on your stories to generate more engagement.
- Showcase your restaurant – Instagram is all about images. More than 40 billion photos have been shared on the platform, so make each one count. Show off your restaurant as best you can. Share your food, your drinks, and the ambiance. When sharing pictures of your food, make sure it looks perfect. Consider hiring a photographer to take photos of your entire menu for you to share over time. Oh, and don’t forget to share those delicious desserts.
- Use hashtags – Embrace the power of the hashtag (a word or phrase that has the “hash” sign / # in front of it). Hashtags are social media’s search engine. If people want to see pictures of pizza, they will search the platform for #pizza. But don’t stop there. There is no problem using multiple hashtags for your image. Many restaurants will hashtag their location to aid people looking for restaurants in the area. For example, in Chicago you can use #chicagofood or #chicagoeats. Use as many hashtags as you need to make your posts more readily found.
- Celebrate national food holidays – Did you know that there is a food holiday for nearly every day of the year? These are prime days for posting food you serve that is related to that day. For example, if you have a delicious burger on your menu, be sure to post a photo of it on National Burger Day. And don’t forget that hashtag! #NationalBurgerDay. See this site for a calendar of national food days.
- Pay attention to when you’re posting – What times of day are your customers looking for dining options? Sharing around lunchtime and dinnertime are ideal. Conversely, sharing pictures late at night or early in the morning aren’t the best time. Also, watch your engagement. What time of day are you getting the most likes and mentions? Those will prove to be the best time to post.
- Enjoy it, embrace it – Finally, have fun with it! Instagram is a fun social channel, so make sure your photos reflect that. After all, would you want to eat at a restaurant that looks boring?