Schaerer makes a wide variety of coffee equipment for cafes and restaurants, including the Verismo 701 Espresso Maker. The machine not only is durable, but it also can brew in a matter of minutes. If a small issue pops up from time to time, don’t let it stop you in your tracks. Our Schaerer Verismo 701 Espresso Machine troubleshooting guide gives quick diagnostic tips and resolutions.
Steamer Won’t Work
If the espresso’s steamer isn’t working, check for the following:
- Clogged wand – If the wand is clogged with milk, use a straightened paperclip or a small, thin screwdriver to clean the holes in the wand tip.
- Wand was at the bottom of the pitcher – Restart the process with the wand positioned at the surface while steaming.
Espresso Tastes Bitter
If the espresso has a bland or bitter taste, the factors below could be at play:
- Dirty machine – A dirty machine can ruin the taste of your product. Run a cleaning cycle following the instructions from this guide.
- Older brewed espresso – You can experience a bitter taste if the brewed espresso is older than 10 seconds. Make sure to brew fresh espresso for the best possible taste.
- Old beans – If the beans are old, the taste can be stale and bitter. Replace with newer beans to improve the quality of taste.
Milk Tastes Burnt
If the milk has a burnt taste, check for the following:
- Temperature is too high – The milk’s temperature shouldn’t go over 170 degrees Fahrenheit. The proper temperature range should fall between 150-170 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Steamer stays on after preset temperature – The machine should automatically shut off at the preset temperature. If it doesn’t, contact an authorized technician to troubleshoot and repair.
Low Espresso Shot
The espresso shot should be more than one ounce. If it’s less than one ounce, the machine likely needs to be cleaned. Follow the instructions from our guide or the operation’s manual. If the machine still is producing an espresso shot of less than one ounce after it’s been cleaned, contact an authorized technician to diagnose and resolve the issue.
If the machine’s drain is overflowing, there is likely a clog. Take out the drain tray grate and clean out the grounds. Use a straightened paperclip or a small, thin screwdriver to remove grounds clogging the drain.
LED Display Codes
Below is a breakdown of error codes and messages that could display on the Verismo 701’s LED screen:
Error Code & Message
"Left or right grinder hopper empty"
There are no beans in the hopper
Add beans to the hopper
The water supply is interrupted
If the water source isn't inhibited, contact an authorized technician for assistance
"Empty grounds container"
The grounds container is full
Remove grounds from the container
Need more help troubleshooting a Verismo 701 Espresso Machine and other Schaerer coffee equipment? Check out our library of Schaerer manuals for assistance.