When you need to quickly heat a large batch of hot dogs or sausages, nothing beats a commercial hot dog roller. That’s why these grills are used everywhere from quick-service and sit-down restaurants to convenient stores and stadiums. Cleaning your hot dog grill daily not only keeps your unit in great shape, but it also ensures sanitary practices in your establishment. The following tips and instructions will help keep your roller grill clean every day.
Cleaning Between Uses
If your establishment serves a lot of hot dogs, always wipe down the machine every few hours. This prevents high amounts of food residue and fat from sticking to the rollers. Below are some easy tips for wiping down the rollers:
- Use heat-resistant gloves – Before you begin, put on a pair of heat-resistant gloves. This will help protect you from burning your hands while wiping the rollers.
- Wipe down rollers with a damp cloth – Start by removing product from the rollers. Make sure the grill is adjusted to low or holding heat. To wipe down the rollers, either use a damp cloth or a soft cloth filled with ice cubes.
- Wipe toward the middle of each roller – When wiping, start from one end of the roller and wipe toward the center. Then, repeat this motion on the opposite end. This motion prevents food particles from getting into the bearing on the sides of the machine.
Cleaning at Closing Time
In addition to wiping down the rollers, you want to thoroughly clean the entire hot dog grill at the end of the day. Follow the instructions below to clean your machine thoroughly:
- Step 1. Loosen the food and grease particles – Make sure the machine is at its highest heat setting and keep the rollers on. This helps loosen up food particles and grease, making it easier to remove.
- Step 2. Wipe down rollers with a damp cloth – After about five minutes, adjust the heat to a low or “hold” setting. Then, wipe down the rollers with a damp cloth or a cloth filled with ice. Make sure to wipe from the edge of the rollers to the center to avoid particles from getting into the bearings.
- Step 3. Clean rollers with soapy water – Once you’re finished wiping down the rollers, soak a cloth in warm water and mild dish soap. Use the soapy cloth to clean the rollers again, following the same wiping motion from the previous step.
- Step 4. Rinse the rollers – Once you’re finished, rinse the rollers with a separate damp cloth.
- Step 5. Clean the grease pan with soap & water – The grease pan accumulates a lot of residue throughout the day. Carefully remove it from the grill and wash it in a wink. Scrub the pan carefully using mild dish soap and a soft cloth. If grease is stuck on, use a light dish detergent. After you’ve cleaned the grease pan, place it back into the machine.
- Step 6. Wipe down the exterior – Before you wrap up, check for any grease marks or smudges on the grill’s exterior. Wipe down the exterior thoroughly with a damp soft cloth. Use a little mild dish soap if the residue is stuck on the surfaces.
If you require more assistance or repairs, please contact an authorized service technician for help.