How to Clean a Bunn Coffee Machine
When it comes to coffee, Bunn is one of the most trusted brands on the planet. Restaurants, hotels and other foodservice establishments rely on their commercial coffee makers to brew warm, delicious coffee in just minutes. In order to keep them running at peak performance, routine cleaning and maintenance is expected. Whether it's daily or weekly, below are instructions for how to clean a Bunn coffee machine.
The cleaning tips are recommended for several Bunn machines, including VP, Single/Dual SH, CT and AXIOM models.
Supplies You Need:
- Soft cloths
- Mild liquid detergent or soap
- Spray head cleaning tool
- Distilled water (descaling)
- White vinegar (descaling)
Cleaning a Bunn Coffee Machine
At the very least, you should be cleaning your Bunn coffee makers a few times a week. However, in areas with hard water, try to do this daily. Make sure to follow these steps:
- Step 1. Turn off the machine – Turn the coffee maker off, and unplug the unit from the wall outlet.
- Step 2. Clean the surfaces of the machine – Dampen a soft cloth in warm water and liquid detergent. Make sure the detergent is mild and non-abrasive. Use the damp cloth to thoroughly clean the surfaces of the coffee maker.
- Step 3. Rinse and dry the surfaces of the machine – Dampen a second cloth in just warm water, and use it to rinse the surfaces of the machine. Then, take a dry cloth to dry off the machine.
- Step 4. Remove and clean the spray head – Detach the coffee maker's spray head. Using the pointed end of the spray head cleaning tool, carefully remove mineral deposits from the holes in the spray head.
- Step 5. Clean the spray head fitting – With the spray head off, insert the long end of the cleaning tool into the spray head fitting. Rotate the tool several times until mineral deposits are cleaned off.
- Step 6. Clean the bypass fitting – Insert the long end of the cleaning tool into the bypass fitting. Rotate the tool several times until mineral deposits are cleaned off. Wipe off any residue with a cloth, and reattach the spray head.
Descaling a Bunn Coffee Machine
Descaling is a process that helps remove mineral and hard water deposits throughout the machine. This should be done at least once a week, especially in areas with hard water. Follow the proper instructions below:
- Step 1. Mix vinegar with distilled water – Mix white vinegar with distilled water and fill it into an entire coffee pot. Be sure to split the mixture into 1/3 vinegar and 2/3 distilled water.
- Step 2. Start a brewing cycle – Pour the descaling solution in the water reservoir, and start a brewing cycle. This will let the mixture remove lime and mineral deposits from inside the coffee machine.
- Step 3. Discard the brewed cleaner – Once the pot is full of your brewed descaling solution, disposed of it.
- Step 4. Clean the spray head and fittings – Turn the coffee maker off, and unplug the unit from the wall outlet. Then, clean the spray head and its open fittings. Start by removing the head and using the pointed end of the spray head cleaning tool to remove deposits from the open holes. Next, use the long head of the tool to clean the spray head and bypass fittings.
- Step 5. Perform rinse cycles – Reattach the spray head, and plug the machine back into the power outlet. Once it's turned back on, fill a pot with distilled water and pour it into the machine's reservoir. Start another brew cycle to help remove any lingering odors or flavors left by the descaling solution. Repeat if necessary until aromas subside.
Looking for more help cleaning a Bunn coffee machine? Check out our collection of Bunn manuals for additional tips and instructions.