Synesso Espresso Machine Cleaning
Every espresso machine needs regular cleaning. The Synesso espresso machine cleaning instructions are pretty straightforward. When you’re ready to give your unit a deep cleanse, we can help you efficiently shine up and sanitize in time for the next morning rush. Follow our instructions on cleaning Synesso espresso machines below. These instructions are for the S-Series, MVP and MVP Hydra models.
Espresso Machine Cleaning Process
Before you get started, be sure to gather the materials you’ll need including a cloth, mild detergent and some gloves. Also, avoid using an abrasive cleaner that will scratch or damage the machine. Once you’re ready to get cleaning, follow the steps below.
- Clean the machine’s exterior with a soft, damp cloth.
- Clear the steam wands of any milk build-up. It’s recommended that you clean the steam wand and tip after each use by purging and wiping them down with a damp cloth. If needed, the tips can be removed to soak in soapy water.
- Remove the drip tray, grates and portafilters to clean them. They can be cleaned by hand or in the dishwasher. Note that if you place them in the dishwasher, you should remove the filter baskets and springs first.
- Wipe down wood accents with a damp rag. It’s not recommended to soak the wood or use regular detergent. Treat the wood with a food safe wax or oil when the surface looks dry.
- Replace the filter basket with the “blind” basket that has no filter holes.
- Start the auto backflush function with the portafilter in place.
- Thoroughly rinse the blind filter basket and repeat the backflushing process with clean water to rid the system of detergent. If you don’t rinse properly, the detergent can cause valve issues or a bad flavor when brewing.
Note: When backflushing, NEVER remove the diffuser screen and screw. If you remove this, the detergent and other particles can enter the brew system and cause issues with the valves. Once the backflushing process is complete, you can remove and clean the screen. After you’re done, don’t forget to reinstall it.
For more detailed descriptions, learn how to clean an espresso machine with the Barista Institute. Interested in getting coffee machine cleaning tips and more from us? We have plenty of resources to help.