There’s nothing better than saving money for your business, but what if you could save money and reduce your carbon footprint at the same time? Reducing energy consumption not only helps to minimize your bills, but it also reduces the environmental impact conventional commercial kitchen equipment can produce. But do such appliances actually exist? They certainly do, and that’s where the ENERGY STAR® program comes in.
You may have seen the blue ENERGY STAR® label on residential equipment, but this program also applies to the commercial food equipment category. If you’ve ever been curious about what the ENERGY STAR® program is, how it can save your business money and reduce your environmental impact, learn more in this overview.
What is ENERGY STAR®?
ENERGY STAR® is a program run by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) which certifies equipment and appliances that meet certain energy efficiency standards. This program not only strives to reduce the environmental impact of energy consumption and other pollutants, but it also indicates what equipment will help your business save on money without compromising performance.
How Does Commercial Kitchen Equipment Earn the ENERGY STAR® Rating?
Commercial kitchen equipment can earn the ENERGY STAR® label through several different criteria like:
- Equipment must provide significant energy savings.
- Must have the same features needed by consumers for them to properly use the equipment along with increased energy efficiency.
- Energy consumption and performance can be measured, tested, and verified.
These guidelines are established by the EPA for genuine energy efficiency.
Why Choose ENERGY STAR® Equipment?
ENERGY STAR® labeled equipment provides many benefits to your business. Not only are you reducing your carbon footprint, but you will also reduce your energy and utility bills, and you can reap the benefits of the ENERGY STAR® rebate program. Rebates are calculated based on your location, and can provide additional savings for when you purchase your new commercial kitchen equipment.
What Commercial Kitchen Equipment is ENERGY STAR® Rated?
Fortunately, there is a huge selection of commercial kitchen equipment and appliances that carry the ENERGY STAR® label. Not only that, but you’ll notice that the variety is great, spanning equipment categories like:
- Commercial hot food holding cabinets
- Commercial griddles
- Commercial ovens
- Commercial coffee brewers
- Commercial steam cookers
- Commercial freezers and refrigerators
- Commercial fryers
- Commercial ice machines
- Commercial dishwashers
Check out all of the approved commercial appliances on the ENERGY STAR® website.
CFS Rebate Programs
Rebates are available through ENERGY STAR and utility companies to reduce the cost of new, more energy-efficient equipment. In most cases, the location where the equipment is installed determines the eligibility for rebates. With that information in mind, here are some resources to help operators find relevant rebates.
- EPA Rebate Finder – The site is the EPA’s official resource for consumers to research the program and search for rebates available in their area by zip code.
- Database of State Incentives for Renewables & Efficiency® (DSIRE) – DSIRE is the most comprehensive source of information on incentives and policies that support renewable energy and energy efficiency in the United States.
- Consortium for Energy Efficiency (CEE) – CEE is an EPA Climate Protection Award-winning consortium of efficiency program administrators from the United States and Canada. Members work to unify program approaches across jurisdictions to increase the success of efficiency in markets. Although the CEE does not administer energy efficiency programs or offer rebates, it does have a resource library and up-to-date information on energy initiatives.
Also, an operation’s local utility company is the best place to start when looking for state or regional rebates. For example, Saving Water Partnership is a group of local water utilities in Seattle and King County, Washington, offering rebates on select steamers, dishwashers and ice machines. Additionally, Energy Solutions is a clean-energy consulting firm that designs and implements energy-efficiency programs nationwide. The company offers Foodservice Instant Rebate Programs in 10 states for gas and/or electric equipment across a range of categories.